Indiana Science Initiative Assessments FAQ
Frequently Asked Questions
- Which grades administer pre/post tests?
We are going to collect data in grades 4-8. We wanted to do this with all grade levels, but we had trouble finding good instruments for K-3 and collecting
informative data in grades K-1 can require a lot of resources.
- Are they administered for every module in the pilot?
Yes, both Pre- and Post-Assessments will be collected on each 4-8 kit.
- Do teachers receive hard copies or are they emailed or to be accessed on the Learning Connection?
Teachers will receive packets in the mail. Please be aware that teachers with many students will receive multiple large white envelopes. Each teacher will receive
- Teacher Instructions
A list of randomly generated numbers to assign to students to protect their identities. Once you have assigned students their numbers, please have them use
their assigned number for each test.
Copies of a pre- and post-test on science process skills, this should be given near the beginning of the pilot and after all instruction is completed using
- Copies of pre- and post-tests for each of the grade level modules, these should be given at the beginning of the module and after the module is complete.
- Scantron forms (Chemical Interactions and Force and Motion do not require Scantron Forms)
- Envelopes to return all pre- and post-tests as they are completed.
- What is the timeline for completing the pre-assessments? Post-assessments?
Pre-assessments should be taken before the first lesson of the kit. Once all teachers in the building have completed their pre-assessments, they should be collected
and sent together. Shipping instructions are included in the packet. Post-assessments should be taken upon the completion of the kit. Teachers should follow the same
shipment instructions to return them. Science Process Skills pre-test should be taken before the first lesson of a teacher's first kit. Teachers may return these
along with their pre-assessments. Science Process Skills post-test should be taken after the completion of the second kit. Teachers may return these along with their
post-assessments of their second kit.
- Do the teachers score them before they are turned in?
No. We have an entire team that will be grading them upon their return.
- I have elected to participate using online assessments. How will I access those and when?
Each test will have a link provided on the Learning Connection available beginning November 5, 2010. Teachers receiving their first kit for term 2 will receive their
random student ID numbers in their individual inbox on the Learning Connection. Instructions will be posted as a file in this community. Please note - We do have one
module that we have determined cannot be completed online and several that will require paper in addition to the online portion. Teachers affected will receive a message
about specifics prior to the November 5th release.
- When should I reserve the computer lab in my building to take pre-assessments?
I recommend teachers start reserving the lab starting November 8th. With the next term beginning December 6th, you can use the month of November to complete the
- I want to participate online. Is it too late?
We ask that only the teachers who signed up by the deadline participate online for term 2. Copies have already been ordered and are being packaged for you. There will be
another opportunity to elect to use online assessments for term 3. Please stay tuned to the Learning Connection for information on how to register.